Friday, October 17, 2014

Annie Hall



        There is a scene in the movie were the characters Annie, Alvy, and Rob, go out to brooklyn to see Alvy’s childhood home. They go inside and as Alvy tells a few stories the don’t only see a few flashbacks, they are in the corner re-living the events. A minute or so later they begin hassling Alvy’s Aunt Tessie, about such things as her looks and her personality. The scene even goes as far as to have the present characters and the flashback characters have a back-and-forth conversation. That scene is definitely an example of Woody Allen’s humor at the time, odd dry and lots of breaking the fourth wall scenes. I’m not a huge fan of this movie, but I did find myself smiling at some of the scenes like this. The awkward unrealistic way it has to it is so weird and out there that it’s funny. 



       But as I said overall I did not like this movie too much. I thought it was a bit depressing, the whole plot of the movie was about a break-up between a couple, and I did not like the character Alvy very much either. I thought he was quite whiny and negative in his overall mentality. I do realize that all of this is supposed to be taken as dry classic Woody Allen humor but I just did not enjoy it, for whatever reason I did not take it in very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment